This month on the Bowdabra Blog our design team will be focusing on Christmas projects. Instead of using stacking boxes create stacking trays for this unique holiday look. “Joy to the World” is the perfect quintessential holiday saying and fits perfectly on these tiered stacking trays. Stacking the trays one on top of the other gives the look of wooden boxes but is the perfect depth for a mantle or side table.
3 Wooden Trays (stacking)
Stencils or Punches
Mod Podge Glue
Glue Dots Continuous Lines
7/8” Red Grosgrain Ribbon
1.5” Green Grosgrain Ribbon
Hair Bow Tool & Ruler
Bowdabra Bow Wire
1. Quickly sand down the trays to get rid of any rough edges.
2. Paint all three stacking trays three separate holiday colors. Let the paint dry. Paint several coats if needed.
3. Cut out the Joy to the World saying. To design the saying use either stencils, paper punches, or paper cutting machines. Decoupage the saying onto the trays using Mod Podge. Let the Mod Podge dry.
4. Use wood glue to stack the trays and hold them in place. Hold the trays together tightly. I used chip clips to hold them together but wood clamps will work, too. Let the glue dry for several hours.
5. To create a bow for the stacked wood trays begin by placing the Hair Bow Tool & Ruler onto the Mini Bowdabra. Cut an 18” piece of Bowdabra Bow Wire and fold it in half and place it into the Mini Bowdabra.
6. To create the red and green ribbon use Glue Dots Continuous Lines, run the glue line along the green ribbon cut at 37” long. Cut a red ribbon 37” long and place it on top of the green. Press the ribbon in place to adhere it together.
7. Fold the ribbon in half at the center point, create a crease, and press it face-down into the Mini Bowdabra.
8. Fold and twist the ribbon at the 3” mark and press it into the Mini Bowdabra. Place the ribbon tail facing down.
9. Fold and twist the ribbon at the 3” mark on the other side and press it into the Mini Bowdabra. Place the ribbon tail facing up.
10. Next, fold the ribbon at the 2.5” mark on each side and place into the Mini Bowdabra. Place one tail up and one tail down.
11. Scrunch down with the Mini Bowdabra Wand.
12. Thread the two loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire through the loop at the other end.
13. Pull the Bowdabra Bow Wire tightly while the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra.
14. Gently pull the bow out of the Mini Bowdabra. Separate the two loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire and bring them around to the back of the bow and knot.
15. Dovetail the ends of the ribbon tails and fluff the bow.
16. Using Glue Dots or tacky glue attach the bow to the holiday stacking trays decoration. Your decoration is now ready to be displayed on a mantle or side table.