My kids love backpack charms – or as they call them backpack swag. They have the swag dangling from every zipper on their school backpacks. It always makes me laugh because they make so much noise walking in the door with all those charms clanging together.
Using colored hot glue and Mod Podge molds I was able to make them both the cutest backpack charms. I finished my daughter’s charms with beautiful Mini Bowdabra Bow. I even added a dab of the colored hot glue to the center of the bow to hide the Bowdabra Bow Wire. Clever, right!
- Key Chains
- Jump Rings
- Jewelry Tools
- Small Hole Punch
- Plaid Mod Podge Molds
- Colored Hot Glue
- Hot Glue Gun
- Mini Bowdabra
- Hair Bow Tool & Ruler
- Bowdabra Bow Wire
- Assorted Ribbon
1. Begin by gathering all the materials you will need to make some hot glue backpack charms.
2. Next, fill the molds with hot glue and let them dry for 10 minutes.
3. They are addicting – make several charms.
4. Use a small hole punch and add jump rings to the charms.
5. Add a few charms to a key chain…
6. Or add lots!
7. For my daughter’s key chain I added a bow. To make the bow place the Hair Bow Tool & Ruler onto the Mini Bowdabra. Cut 18″ of Bowdabra Bow Wire and fold the wire in half. Place the wire into the Mini Bowdabra.
8. Dovetail the end of ribbon and place it into the Mini Bowdabra at the 1.5″ mark.
9. Fold the ribbon at the 1.5″ mark to make your first loop.
10. Make a matching loop on the other side and dovetail the ribbon end.
11. Add some sheer ribbon onto the top of the bow. Place the end of the ribbon into the Mini Bowdabra.
12. Fold some small loops and dovetail the ribbon tail.
13. Scrunch down with the Mini Bowdabra Wand.
14. Thread the two tail ends of the wire through the loop. Pull the wire tightly.
15. Remove the bow from the Mini Bowdabra and bring the wire around to the back of the bow and knot. Fluff the bow.
16. Place a dab of colored hot glue in the center of the bow to hide the wire.
16. Use the wire to attach the bow to the key chain.
17. Your hot glue backpack charms are complete!