It’s so fun to dress up dogs because they are so cute in clothing or hair bows. Short haired dogs are at a disadvantage since they can’t wear a traditional bow on a barrette, but now you can make your little fur baby adorable by making her a simple headband custom sized to her.
Headbands can be made out of clear elastic like I used, so your little girl will look like she’s wearing a barrette. If you want the headband to show, colored elastic or an elastic headband for humans can be resized and used. Clear or colored elastic can be purchased with the sewing notions at any craft store.
Note that my long hair chihuahua is very petite and only weighs four pounds. Therefore, I sized this bow for a small dog. If you have a larger dog, feel free to adjust the size of the bow loops as needed.
Elastic (sewing) or an elastic headband for humans
needle and thread
5/8 inch red grosgrain ribbon
5/8 inch white grosgrain ribbon
Hair Bow Tool
Supplies gathered and pictured below:
1. Measure your dog’s head from forehead, then go under chin, and back around to the starting point. Add 1/2 inch to this number for overlap and cut elastic to this size.
2. Overlap elastic ends, being careful not to twist the headband. Hand sew tightly with needle and thread. As you can see, this doesn’t have to look good because it will be covered later.
3. Cut Bowdabra wire 18 inches long. Fold in half and place in the Mini Bowdabra.
4. Cut red ribbon 17 1/2 inches long. Dovetail ends and seal with clear nail polish.
5. Make a 3 inch Basic Bow. Each side will have 2 loops that are 1 1/2 inch long.
6. Scrunch center with Bowdabra wand, but do not tie off center.
7. Cut a piece of white ribbon 6 inches long. Leave ends straight and seal with clear nail polish.
8. Make a 2 1/2 inch bow tie on the top of the red basic bow. There will be one loop on each side that is 1 1/4 inch long.
9. Scrunch down both red and white bows together with the Mini Bowdabra Wand.
10. While the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra, thread the two loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire through the loop at the other end. Pull the wre tightly while the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra. Remove bow from the Mini Bowdabra. Separate the two loose ends of the wire, bring them around to the back of the bow, then double knot.
11. Cut another piece of white ribbon 2 1/4 inches long. Cut ends straight and seal with clear nail polish. Fold this ribbon lengthwise in thirds. You may find it easier to hot glue the ends to keep the folds in place.
12. Wrap this ribbon around the bow center and hot glue to secure.
13. Using the wire clippers, snip shank off the back of the button.
14. Hot glue button to bow center.
15. Using a needle and thread, hand sew bow onto headband, covering the overlapped area.
The headband is now ready for your dog to wear. Prepare to get lots of compliments when she’s in public!
Remember, your dog should only wear clothing items of any kind while being supervised and should never wear clothing or bows when left alone.