Create Beautiful Decorations for that Special Occasion with
Bowdabra, The Perfect Tool!
Halloween Spooky Witch Hat Tutorial
Although there are so many cute Halloween decorations that you can buy, it’s fun to get in the Halloween spirit by making your own. Learn how to make a witch’s hat, which is the perfect addition to a Halloween vignette!
If you’ve never seen paper mache witch hats, I bought mine at Michael’s. However, if you can’t find one, use poster board, heavy cardstock, or lightweight cardboard to make your own version. A witch hat is really just a cone on a round base, so it would be easy to adapt this project to any size hat you want to make.
-A paper mache witch’s hat
– glossy sealer
-Black Goose biots or black feathers
-7/8″ wide orange grosgrain ribbon
-5/8 inch wide candy corn satin ribbon
-Mini Bowdabra Hair Bow Tool and CD
-Hot glue gun and glue sticks
-wood burning tool, fray check, or clear nail polish to seal ribbon ends
1. Paint the witch’s hat black, let dry, then apply sealer. When this dries, you are ready to begin the next step.
2. Cut a piece of 1 inch wide orange ribbon long enough to fit around the base of the hat. If it is too wide to fit the hat, fold it in half lengthwise and glue to keep it in place. Fit around the hat and glue to secure.
3. Glue good biots (or feathers) onto hat band. Don’t worry about the glue because it will be covered later.
4. Cut 18 inches of Bowdabra wire, fold it in half, then place in the Mini Bowdabra that already has the Hair Bow Tool on it.
5. Cut 2 piece of orange ribbon 6 inches long. Dovetail and seal the ends. Place in the Mini Bowdabra in an “x” shape.
6. Cut a 6 inch long piece of the candy corn ribbon. Dovetail and seal the ends, then place horizontally in the Mini Bowdabra.
7. Cut a piece of orange ribbon 18 inches long and make a 4 inch Boutique Bow according to the CD that comes with the Hair Bow Tool.
8. Scrunch bow center using the Mini Bowdabra Wand.
9. Using a piece of candy corn ribbon cut 14 inches long, make another Boutique Bow on top of the first one. This one will be 3 inches.
10. Scrunch both bow centers with the Mini Bowdabra Wand.
11. Leave the bow in the Mini Bowdabra for now. Thread the 2 loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire through the loop at the other end. Pull the wire tightly so the bow will not fall apart, then remove from the Mini Bowdabra. Separate the two loose ends of the wire and bring them around to the back of the bow. Double knot, then trim excess wire.
12. Cut a small piece of candy corn ribbon and tie into a loose knot. Wrap around bow center and secure with hot glue.
13. Fluff bow as needed, then glue bow on the hat, covering the goose biot ends. Now your witch hat is ready to add to a Halloween vignette!