This week on the Bowdabra Blog we have been focusing on holiday gifts. The Christmas gift tutorials are perfect presents that can be handmade for teachers, neighbors, friends, family, or given as hostess gifts.
Our Bowdabra Blog tutorial today is how to make a ribbon Christmas Tree.
- Styrofoam Cone
- 1.5? Green Grosgrain Ribbon
- 3/8? Red Grosgrain Ribbon
- 7/8? Yellow Grosgrain Ribbon
- Straight Pins with Pearl Heads
1. Begin with the green grosgrain ribbon, Styrofoam cone and straight pins.
2. Next, place one end of ribbon at the top of the cone and hold it in place with a pin. Then with the rest of the ribbon create little tree branches. To create the branches pitch the ribbon and hold it in place with a pin. Continue pinching ribbon and placing a pin into the cone. As you get to the bottom create larger ribbon branches.
3. Duplicate the ribbon loops on the opposite side of the cone.
4. Add two more ribbon layers one on each side. For a total of 4 ribbon layer loops.
5. Next, in between the ribbon layer loops you are going to add more ribbon. To hold the next ribbon strand in place start at the top and hold it together with pins. Point the pins downwards so that they do not come through to the other side. Add loops down the sides.
6. Add ribbon loops down all four sides to completely cover the Styrofoam cone.
7. Hold the ribbon in place on the bottom of the cone with pins. I added more pins then I needed but I was trying to make sure that my Christmas tree stood level and even.
8. Cut a piece of green grosgrain ribbon and shape it into a point for the top of the tree. Hold the point in place with more pins.
9. Use 3/5? red grosgrain ribbon as garland for the ribbon tree. Using the pins to hold the red ribbon in place.
10. Complete the ribbon Christmas tree by cutting out a yellow grosgrain ribbon star. Seal the ends of the grosgrain ribbon using clear nail polish or a no fray.
11. The ribbon Christmas tree is complete and ready to given as a gift or displayed in your own home.