Birch trees are very popular in the northeastern part of the United States. Recently, on a nature walk with my mother and my daughter we found several birch trees that had fallen along the trail. The beautiful birch trees have a whitish bark color that is easy to peel from the tree. We pulled several sheets of birch bark from the tree to create gift tags.
- Birch Bark
- Die Cuts (Gift Tags)
- Sealer and Varnish
- 3/8″ Grosgrain Ribbon
- Mini Bowdabra
- Hair Bow Tool & Ruler
- Bowdabra Bow Wire
1. Begin by peeling and gathering birch bark from fallen trees.
2. Next, pull several layers of the birch away. It is very easy to peel and feels like thin pieces of paper.
3. Cut the birch into strips that will fit your die cuts.
4. Cut out gift tags using the die cuts. Seal the tags with a sealer and varnish.
5. Add ribbon to the tags, I chose to add 3/8″ grosgrain ribbon to the tags but any ribbon type would work.
6. Add a bow using the Mini Bowdabra and Hair Bow Tool & Ruler. Begin by placing the Hair Bow Tool & Ruler onto the Mini Bowdabra. Cut 18″ of Bowdabra Bow Wire, fold it in half, and place it into the Mini Bowdabra.
7. Cut the 3/8″ grosgrain ribbon tail at an angle. Place the tail into the Mini Bowdabra at the 1.5″ mark.
8. Fold the ribbon at the 1″ mark and press it into the Mini Bowdabra.
9. Fold a matching loop on the other side.
10. Cut a matching ribbon tail at an angle.
11. Scrunch with the Mini Bowdabra wand.
12. While the b
ow is still in the Mini Bowdabra, thread the two loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire through the loop at the other end.
13. Pull the Bowdabra Bow Wire tightly while the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra.
14. Gently pull the bow out of the Mini Bowdabra. Separate the two loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire and bring them around to the back of the bow. To tie off the bow, pinch the Bowdabra Bow Wire securely against the bow. Twist the bow 4 to 6 times in a clockwise direction.
15. Trim away excess wire and fluff the bow.
16. Glue a finishing ribbon onto the bow to hide the wire.
17. Glue the bow onto the gift tag.
18. Add bows to birch bark gift tags or leave them plain. Use birch bark gift tags to holiday gifts or any special occasion.