Ribbon candy is on old-fashion traditional sweet treat for Christmas-time. Ribbon candy is flattened and then folded into a looped ribbon. Showcase ribbon candy on your Christmas tree – using actual ribbon! Design handmade Christmas tree ribbon candy ornaments using layered grosgrain ribbon and baby ric-rac.
Materials Needed for One Ribbon Candy Ornament:
- 18″ of 1.5″ wide Red Grosgrain
- 18″ of 1.5″ wide White Grosgrain
- 18″ of 7/8″ wide Light Green Grosgrain
- 18″ of 7/8″ wide Red Grosgrain
- 18″ of 3/8″ wide Light Green Grosgrain
- 18″ of 3/8″ wide Red Grosgrain
- 18″ of Red Baby Ric Rac
- 18″ of Light Green Baby Ric Rac
- Ultra Heat N Bond
- Yarn Needle
- Bowdabra Bow Wire
- Large Eyed Beads
1. Begin by applying Ultra Heat N Bond (according to manufacture’s instructions) and layer ribbon, biggest to smallest.
2. To add the baby ric-rac, iron on the Ultra Heat N Bond leaving a little bit on each side.
3. Using either scissors or a lighter cut or melt away the excess Heat N Bond.
4. Iron the baby ric rac onto the grosgrain.
5. Turn the ribbon over, layer the ribbon, and iron it into place.
6. Fold the ribbon about every two inches. Insert the yarn needle in the center of each layer.
7. Fold the entire 18″ of ribbon onto the yarn needle. Insert the yarn needle into each opening several times to enlarge the hole.
8. Thread Bowdabra Bow Wire onto the yarn needle. Leave a tail of Bowdabra Bow Wire and then knot it. Thread large eyed beads onto the yarn needle between each layer. Form a loop at the top to hang the ornament.
9. Spiral the tail end of the Bowdabra Bow Wire with a pencil to create a fun ringlet.
10. By layering the ribbon with different colors the ornament looks great from all sides.
11. Place the ribbon candy on your Christmas tree or give it as a gift.