Don’t wait till the last minute to get a head start on your holiday crafting. I love crafting with recycled materials. Wine corks are a favorite (You can even buy bags of them in craft stores if you don’t drink wine) and are a perfect craft supply. You can create this recycled wine cork angel ornament quick and easy. When Christmas rolls around you can just sit back and enjoy the season. Make this angel even more special by using wine corks from special occasions. You will have a keepsake memory that you can put on your Christmas tree every year.
You will need:
- Two recycled wine corks
- Colored wire, 22-gauge and 18-gauge (I used red, but you can use any color you choose)
- Wire cutters
- Round shape colored paper clip
- Tacky craft glue
- Two wiggle eyes
- Two small jingle bells
- Mini Bowdabra with ruler
- Bowdabra bow wire
- 2 ½” wide white wired sheer ribbon with glitter
- Glue gun and glue sticks
1. Make a mark on the bottom center of a wine cork. Use the awl with a twisting motion to drill a hole about ½” into the cork.
2. Cut a 2-inch piece of 22-gauge wire with wire cutters and insert into the hole. (Neck)
3. Mark the center top of another wine cork and using the awl drill ½” into the cork. Taking the first wine cork with the wire neck, add a dab of glue onto the wire and insert into the second wine cork hole. (Head and neck attached to body)
4. Use the awl to drill a hole on each side of the body cork about half way down, drilling about ½” deep. Cut two 3-inch pieces of 18” gauge wire, add a dab of glue on the ends and insert each piece into the holes you made on the sides of the wine cork. Curl the ends. (Arms made)
5. Using the awl to drill two holes in the bottom of the body wine cork at the same depth as before. Cut two 4-inch pieces of 18-gauge wire. Thread a jingle bell onto the wire fold in half leaving the jingle bell centered. Add a dab of glue onto the wire ends and carefully insert into one of the holes you made. (Leg made) Bend the leg as desired. Repeat for the other leg.
6. Drill a hole into the top center of the head. Pull apart a round colored paper clip slightly; add a dab of glue and inset into the hole. You can hang your robot from this paper clip. He will dangle and jingle. Add two dots of glue and attach two wiggle eyes to the front.
Make the wings:
7. Cut an 18 inch piece of bow wire fold in half and insert long ways in the mini Bowdabra. You will have a loop on one side and two pieces of wire on the other.
8. Cut an 18” piece of white, sheer 2 ½” wide wired glitter ribbon. Insert leaving a tail to the edge of the ruler mark. Fold and make a loop the same on the opposite side.
9. Continue by making a matching loop on the other side and end leaving a small tail on the other side.
10. Insert the two end pieces of bow wire through the loop and pull tightly. Remove the bow from the Bowdabra and tie in a knot on the back.
11. Cut the end pieces short. Fluff up and arrange the bow. Use a glue gun and glue sticks to attach the bow to the back of the wine cork angel.
12. Hang your wine cork angel ornament on your Christmas tree or give as a holiday gift.