Well it’s that time of year again…school is getting out soon and you really should be thinking about an awesome end of the year teacher gift. Little Johnny was lucky to have such a wonderful teacher. But think about it, do you really want to give yet another coffee mug? Do they really need baked goods? The best thing to give a teacher is a gift card that they can use on whatever they really need.
Now that you’ve decided on a gift card how can you display it for gift giving? Recycle an old gift card box (You probably have some leftover from Christmas) Gift card boxes have a center section to hold the gift card. If you don’t have one you can easily purchase one. I was lucky enough to find several for pennies at Target that were marked down. This little blackboard gift card box is so cute and easy to make. You can write to and from on the mini blackboard and even make a miniature blackboard eraser and chalk! And of course you can put on the final perfect touch with a Bowdabra bow.
- Gift card box
- Thin wooden craft stick
- 3 x 3” wooden square
- Black chalkboard paint
- Small paintbrush
- Masking tape
- Tacky craft glue
- Tiny scrap of gray felt
- Tiny white tube bead
- Fine sandpaper
- 9 inches 7/8 inch wide printed ribbon
- Lighter or clear nail polish to keep the ribbon ends from fraying
- Gather your supplies. Cut a 3-inch piece and a ½” piece off the craft stick with scissors. Sand the edges
- Measure and mark 2 ½” square inside the wooden square. Use masking tape to tape all around the marked square. Apply 2 to 3 coats of blackboard paint to the taped off area letting it dry between coats. Let dry and remove the masking tape.
- Apply some tacky glue to the 3-inch craft stick piece and attach to the bottom of the blackboard. Glue on some gray felt to the ½” piece of craft stick. (Eraser made)
- Make the bow. Cut a 9-inch piece of 7/8” wide printed ribbon. Fold the ends in half and cut at an angle to dovetail the ends. Use a lighter lightly on the ends to keep from fraying or apply some clear nail polish.
- Cut an 18-inch piece of Bowdabra bow wire, fold in half and insert into the mini bow maker. You will have a loop on one end and two loose ends on the other. Fold under to keep out of the way while making your bow.
- Fold the ribbon in half to find the center. Pinch down and insert into the bow maker wrong side up.
- Make a loop and bring the end to the other side turning to the right side. Make matching loop on the opposite side twisting to keep the right sides up.
- Insert the two loose ends through the loop and pull tight while the bow is still in the bow maker. Remove the bow and tie a knot in the back. Cut off any extra wire. Fluff and arrange the bow.
- Glue the blackboard on the front of the box. Attach the white tube bead and the eraser on the blackboard with some glue. Add the bow to the top of the blackboard.
- Place your gift card in the holder area inside the box and enjoy.