It will be the 4th of July before you know it and you will probably want to wear your red, white and blue. Why not let the dogs get in on the action too? This little dog bow tie is perfect for the holiday. You simply slip it on the dogs collar and slide it on and off as needed. This bow is for a small dog but with a little variation you can make on for any sized dog.
- 12 inches 1 ½” wide patriotic ribbon wired ribbon, printed on one side (For a larger dog just use wider ribbon)
- Measure your collar thickness and cut some 3/8” wide elastic to fit around, snuggly but not too tight. (Mine was around 2 ½” inches)
- Scrap of red felt
- 12 inches Bowdabra bow wire
- Bowdabra mini bow maker with ruler
- Lighter or clear nail polish to seal the ribbon ends from fraying
- Glue gun and glue sticks
- Clothespin to hold ribbon till the glue sets
- Dog collar
- Cut a 12-inch length of bow wire, fold in half and insert into the bow maker. You will have a loop at one end and two wires at the other. Fold under to keep out of the way while you are making your bow.
- Cut a 12-inch length of patriotic ribbon; fold in half to find the center and pinching together insert into the bow maker wrong side up.
- Make a loop to the 1 ½” inch line and insert into the bow maker with the right side facing up.
- Make a matching loop on the other side pinch and insert into the bow maker.
- Scrunch down with the Bowdabra wand.
- Bring the two loose wires through the loop and while the bow is still in the bow maker, pull tight. Remove the bow from the bow maker; bring the wires to the back and tie a knot. Cut the wires short. Fluff the bow.
- Cut a 2 –inch piece of the 1 ½” wide ribbon fold in half lengthwise and glue around the center. Use the clothespin to hold it together till the glue sets.
- Measure the elastic to fit around your collar snuggly. The amount will vary according to how wide your collar is. Glue one side and then loop and glue the other side of the elastic to the back of the bow. Cut a small rectangle of felt (3/4” x ½”) and glue on the back in the middle of the elastic loop to cover.
- Slide onto your collar.
Be sure and visit Bowdabra designer Crystal at Make it easy crafts for more easy craft tutorials and recipes.