Fall is the season for bazaars and craft shows and something that always sells at these events are Horse show hair bows and sport hair bows. Whether they are for upcoming horse shows or bows for cheering on your favorite team they are always in vogue. Use the Mini Bowdabra with the hair bow tool and ruler and you will be surprised at how quickly and easily you can add to your craft show income. While these hair bows are required for short stirrup at horse shows even those not in horse shows will love these elegant hair bows! And the charm in the center gives this horse show hair bow added style!
- Mini Bowdabra
- Hair bow tool and ruler
- 1 ½” wide beige grosgrain ribbon
- 7/8” wide printed grosgrain ribbon
- ½” wide sheer ribbon in contrasting color
- Bowdabra bow wire
- Charm or bead
- Alligator clip
- ½”grosgrain ribbon to cover clip
- Hot glue gun and hot glue sticks
- Lighter to seal the ends from fraying (You may substitute clear nail polish if desired)
- Gather your supplies.
- Cut 18” bow wire, fold in half and insert into the Bowdabra. You will have a loop on one side and two wires on the other.
- Cut a 15” piece of 7/8” printed ribbon. Fold the ends in half and cut at an angle to dovetail. Use a lighter to lightly go over the ends to seal from fraying. (you may use clear nail polish if desired) Fold in half to find the center and insert into the Bowdabra guiding the tails downward.
- Cut a 14” piece of ½” wide sheer ribbon, and seal the ends with the lighter or nail polish as before. Fold in half to find the center and insert into the Bowdabra.
- Cut an 18 ½” piece of beige grosgrain ribbon. Seal the ends with the lighter. Fold in half to find the center and insert into the Bowdabra. Bring the right end over and insert the tail end into the Bowdabra. (See photo)
- Bring the other tail end over and under the first loop forming an X and insert the end in the Bowdabra.
- Insert the ribbon center of both loops into the Bowdabra.
- Scrunch down with the Bowdabra wand.
- Insert the two loose wires through the loop and while the bow is still in Bowdabra pull tight. Remove from the Bowdabra, turn to the back and tie a knot. Adjust the bow and tails.
- Using the wires from the back, bring back around to the front and insert a bead or charm through one of the wires. Bring the wires back to the back of the bow and tie a knot making sure the charm is centered on the front of the bow. Cut off any excess.
- Hot glue 3 inches of ½” grosgrain ribbon to an alligator clip to cover and attach to the back of the bow with some more hot glue.
- Repeat all the steps for a second bow to make a perfect pair.
Note: You may purchase alligator clips already covered with ribbon if desired.
Try using colors to match you mood or outfits!