While browsing through the local home improvement store looking for some extra Christmas decorations I noticed a display of light up mini battery powered earrings for under $4. The wheels started turning and before I knew it I had the makings of light up hair bow clips. I use one earring for each fun bow clip.
You don’t have to limit these little bows for wearing in your hair. You can clip them on your sweater, purse or anywhere. When you want the mini LED bulbs to flash you simply turn the middle light. Unscrew it slightly and it turns off.
Note: These bows are great for older kids and adults but I don’t suggest them for under the age of 3.
You will need:
- Bowdabra mini bow maker with ruler
- Bowdabra bow wire
- Mini light up LED Christmas earrings
- 24 inches of 1 ½” wide sheer red wired ribbon
- Needle nosed pliers
- Alligator clip
- 3 inches of 3/8” grosgrain ribbon
- Hot glue gun and hot glue stick
- Gather your supplies. Remove the fishhook wire from the earring with the needle nosed pliers and discard. Cut a 6-inch piece of bow wire and thread it through the loop in the top of the earring and tie a knot. Set aside.
- Cut 18-inches of bow wire, fold in half and insert into the bow maker. You will have a loop at one side and two loose wires at the other.
- Insert the end of the ribbon in the bow maker leaving about a 6-inch tail. Make loop to the 2-inch line. Make a matching loop on the other side, ending with a 6-inch tail.
- Insert the earring with the bow wire in the bow maker.
- Scrunch down with the Bowdabra wand.
- Insert the loose wires through the loop and pull tight while the bow is still in the bow maker. Remove from the bow maker and tie a knot in the back. Fluff up the bow and arrange the loops and cut off the excess wires
- Fold the tail ends in half and cut at an angle to dovetail.
- Cut a 3-inch piece of 3/8” grosgrain ribbon in a matching color. Use the glue gun to cover the clip and attach to the back of the ribbon. Clip it in your hair on a sweater and more.