With school almost over for the year, Mother’s Day, Father’s day and more there will be photo ops galore. You can make this quick magnetic fridge frame from some recycled advertising magnets and display them on the fridge, lockers, file cabinets or just about anywhere magnetic.
If you are like me you have a lot of those advertising magnets lying around. (Some of them are quite large) Many of the larger ones promote dated events like football and baseball schedules you’re not going to throw them out are you? Don’t have any advertising magnets you can recycle? Don’t worry because you can buy magnetic sheets in the craft store at a very little cost. Finish your magnetic frame with an adorable Bowdabra bow.
- Washi tape in desired colors
- White colored pencil
- 12” 3/8” wide ribbon on a complementary color
- 12” Bowdabra bow wire
- Mini Bowdabra bow maker with hair bow tool and ruler
- Bowl or sink full of warm water
- Hot glue gun and hot blue sticks
- Rhinestone or cabochon (optional)
- Gather your supplies. Fill a sink or large bowl with warm water. Place the magnetic advertising sheets into the water and soak for a few minutes. Begin peeling off the paper. After you peel the larger pieces of paper off, use a rubbing motion to remove the rest. Dry off the magnetic sheet with paper towels. (The kids will love to help with this step!) Use rubbing motion to remove the rest. Dry off the magnetic sheet with paper towels.
- Use a ruler and the white colored pencil to measure and cut a 3 ¼” x 5” rectangle from the prepared magnetic sheet.
- Cut out the frame opening. It is easiest to measure 1” down from the top and the bottom and make a line across. Repeat this step for the sides measuring ½” margin on each side. Cut out the opening.
- Begin applying washi tape on the frame. Make sure you apply it to the side that had the paper removed. The other side is not magnetic. Overlap just a bit and fold to the back. Smooth with your fingers. Apply the washi tape to the entire frame. Optional: After you have covered the front of the frame you may decide you want to finish your frame by covering the back of it. When covering the back cut the overlap flush with the edges.
- Make a Bowdabra bow to embellish. Cut an 12-inch piece of Bowdabra gold bow wire fold in half and place in the Mini Bowdabra bow maker. You will have a loop at one end and two pieces of wire at the other end.
- Cut a piece of 3/8” wide ribbon in your color choice. Place the ribbon into the Mini Bowdabra to create a 1 1/2” tail. Next, fold the ribbon to form a loop at the 1 1/2” mark.
- Fold a matching loop on the other side at the 1 1/2 inch mark.
- Fold two more loops and end with a tail.
- Use the wand to push down the bow. Thread the two loose ends through the loop and pull tight. Remove the bow and trim the ends.
- Use a hot glue gun and glue sticks to attach the bow to the top center. Add a rhinestone or cabochon to finish.
This quick and easy magnetic fridge frame makes a great end of the year teacher’s gift, mother’s day gift and more! Visit Bowdbra designer Crystal at her blog Make it easy crafts, Facebook, twitter, Pinterest, g+ and bloglovin.