Looking for a hearty dish that’s full of flavors, easy to make, and delicious? Try this Orecchiette with Kale, Sausage, Garlic and Pine Nuts. The dish is excellent and is absolutely bursting with flavors. It’s so quick to make, and all the flavors work so well together. Try now!!!
- 4 ounces of Orecchiette pasta
- 2 sausage links, casings removed (I used spicy Italian sausage)
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups of kale
- 2 cloves of raw garlic
- 2 cloves of roasted garlic
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes, divided
- 2 Tbsp toasted pine nuts
- 2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the box
- Thinly slice the raw garlic. Add enough oil to cover the bottom of a small pan, and add garlic slices. Cook on low heat until garlic is lightly browned. Keep an eye on the garlic…once it gets golden brown, it will change to burnt pretty quickly. The last thing you want is burnt garlic. Remove garlic chips and set aside.
- Remove kale leaves from stalk, as the stalk is much too tough to cook or eat. Chop the kale into small pieces, and wash thoroughly.
- If using Italian sausage, discard oil and wipe pan clean. If using white meat sausage, reserve a very small amount of oil.
- Break up sausage into small pieces, and then brown sausage in pan over medium heat.
- Add diced onions and red pepper flakes when sausage is almost browned through, and cook until onions become translucent.
- Add kale and broth to pan. Reduce heat to low, and cook until kale is tender. The smaller the pieces of kale, the faster they will cook.
- Drain the pasta, reserving 2 tablespoons of pasta water. Add the pasta, reserved water, and garlic chips. Stir until water has been absorbed.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Top with remaining red pepper flakes and freshly grated parmesan cheese. Serve!
Read more about Karyl Henry.