What is better than a plain old lampshade? Why an embellished lamp shade of course. You can easily create this magnetic lampshade embellishment to liven up all your rooms. It’s so easy to make with the Bowdabra bow maker, some ribbon and lace. You will need to go to a home improvement store for the magnets that are a bit stronger than the ones they sell in the craft stores. Spring is in the air so why not add some embellishment and forget those winter doldrums. Add it to whichever lampshade you desire. Change them around at will. It’s easy with the magnetic attachment. The magnetic lampshade embellishment makes a great Mother’s Day gift too!
- Bowdabra bow maker
- 2 ½” wide wired tan ribbon
- 2 ½” lace gathered or flat
- Bowdabra bow wire
- Ceramic disc magnets
- White felt scrap
- Hot glue gun and hot glue sticks
- Cut a 20” piece of Bowdabra bow wire, fold in half and insert into the Bowdabra. You will have a loop on one side and two loose wires on the other side. Fold the excess wires under the Bowdabra to keep out the way while you are making the bow.
- Insert one end of the tan wired ribbon in the Bowdabra and make a loop.
- Make a matching loop on the other side. Continue making loops in this way until you have four loops on each side.
- Next insert the lace in the Bowdabra and make a loop. Make a matching loop on the other side. Repeat this one more time.
- Scrunch down with the Bowdabra wand.
- Insert the two loose bow wires through the loop and pull tight while the bow is still in the Bowdabra. Separate the wires, remove from the Bowdabra, turn to the back and tie a knot.
- Fan out and adjust the bow.
- Cut out four circles of felt about ½” wider than the magnets. Sandwich a magnet between two circles of felt and run a bead of hot glue all around to secure. Repeat with the second magnet.
- Using the glue gun attach one felt encased magnet to the back of the bow. Use one magnet inside the lampshade and attach the bow to the outside joining both magnets through the shade.
You can find the Bowdabra bow maker online or at your local craft store!