Wouldn’t this adorable turkey hair bow look so cute on your favorite little girl? Actually it will look just as adorable on adults as well as kids. Autumn is in full swing and we are all getting ready for the upcoming holidays. And this Thanksgiving you will be the hit of the day when you wear your turkey hair bow! This hair turkey hair bow makes a great gift and is a great moneymaker at those autumn craft shows.
- Mini Bowdabra bow maker
- Hair bow tool and ruler
- Bowdabra bow wire
- 22 inches 1 ½” wide orange grosgrain ribbon
- Several colors 3/8” wide grosgrain ribbon (red, yellow, rust)
- Small dowel pieces
- Wooden clothespins (optional)
- Alligator clip, covered with ribbon
- Hot glue gun and hot glue sticks
- Felt turkey shape (available in craft stores
Lets make the turkey hair bow
- Make the korker ribbon. Wind the 3/8” grosgrain ribbon around a dowel and hold at the ends with wooden clothespins. (You can alternately tie the ribbon at the ends) Place on a cookie sheet lined with foil. Heat in the oven at 275 degrees for 20 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before removing.
- First place the ruler on the mini Bowdabra. Next, cut a piece of Bowdabra bow wire 18” long, fold in half and then insert into the Bowdabra. You will have a loop on one side and two loose wires on the other side.
- Now, cut a piece of 1 ½” wide grosgrain ribbon 22” inches long and use a lighter to run lightly across the ends to stop it from fraying. (You can alternately use nail polish or a commercial fray stop glue) Now, fold the ribbon in half to find the center and insert into the Bowdabra.
- First, bring the right end over the Bowdabra and under the ribbon and insert the end into the Bowdabra.
- Next, take the opposite end and bring it over the first ribbon, then under and insert the end into the Bowdabra. It will look like an X.
- Now press the first loop down into the Bowdabra and follow with the second loop. When you do this you made your boutique style bow. Next you will add the korker ribbon pieces.
Now add the corker ribbon
- For the korker pieces, cut them to about 4” long and insert each korker piece into the Bowdabra one at a time.
- Scrunch down with the Bowdabra wand. To finish, insert the two loose wires through the loop and pull tight while the bow is still in the Bowdabra. Finally, remove the bow, separate the wires, turn to the back and tie a knot. Repeat with a second knot.
- For the purpose of making the turkey hair bow, you need to remove the body from the turkey felt piece, since the feathers are represented by the korker and bow.
- Now turn the bow to the front and use the hot glue gun to attach the turkey. Make sure before you glue, that the korker pieces are all evenly spaced.
- Finally, attach an alligator clip to the back with some more hot glue. In order to make sure the clip stays in place use the excess wire to tie in the center as well. Then clip all the wires short.
When you see how quick and easy this turkey hair bow is to make you will want to make extras for gift giving !