This week the recipe for Dinner easy is a delicious baked General Tso’s chicken. The following recipe is by guest blogger Karyl at Karyl’s Kulinary Crusade. Check out Karyl’s post and read about her recipe revisions and process to make this delicious, nutritious and healthier baked General Tso’s chicken dish.
Be sure and visit Karyl for more of her awesome recipes, restaurant reviews and more!
- 8 ounces boneless chicken thighs, cut in strips
- 1 egg + 2 tbsp water whisked together to make an egg wash
- 1/4 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 spring onions, cut into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- For the Sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 4 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar 2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 Tablespoon hot chili paste (use more or less to taste)
- 2 cloves minced raw garlic, 1 clove minced roasted garlic
- 1 Tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tsp corn starch
Combine the flour, black pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, ground ginger, salt. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper, then dip them in the egg wash to dredge them in the flour mixture.
Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet and lightly drizzle or the tops with a little more olive oil.
Bake at 425 degrees F for about 20 minutes.
Make the sauce for the General Tso’s chicken
While the chicken is baking, prepare your sauce.
In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, water, paprika, chili paste, salt, corn starch, minced garlic and freshly grated ginger. Whisk to fully combine and dissolve cornstarch, and set mixture aside.
In a medium saucepan, boil together the 1 cup of sugar and ¼ cup of water over medium heat. Watch constantly, until the caramel starts to turn a light amber color.
Carefully add sauce mixture to saucepan, and simmer for 4-5 minutes. Toss the sauce with the cooked chicken pieces. Serve chicken over steamed rice. Top with sesame seeds and spring onions