This doll hair accessory is a perfect project to do with kids. It’s easy and makes use of ribbon scraps.
Supplies That You’ll Need for the Doll Hair Accessory
- Mini Bowdabra with Ruler Kit
- 12″ length of Bowdabra wire
- 2″ lengths of several ¼” to 3/8″ wide colored ribbons
- 1½” length of 1/8″ ribbon
- 1 hair clip
- Proxxon Thermocut 115/E
- Hot glue and glue gun
Instructions to Make the Doll Hair Accessory
- Use the Thermocut to cut 2″ and 1½” lengths of ribbons. The Thermocut’s hot wire cuts and seals the ribbon in one step. I used eight colors of grosgrain and satin ribbon. This is a great way to use up little scraps. (Alternatively, cut the ribbons with scissors, and quickly pass through a flame to seal the ends.)
- Assemble the Bowdabra wire, ribbons, and Mini Bowdabra with ruler kit.
- Position the ruler on the Mini Bowdabra. Fold the wire in half, and place in the Mini Bowdabra.
- Begin layering the 2″ lengths of ribbon in the Mini Bowdabra, using the ruler kit as a guide to center the pieces. Press the ribbons in place with the Mini Bowdabra wand.
- With the ribbons in place in the Mini Bowdabra, pass the ends of the wire through the loop, then tighten and tie the ends.
- Hot glue the 1½” length of 1/8″ ribbon in place to cover the wire. Put a small bead of hot glue on the back side of the bow, and secure end of the ribbon. Wrap the ribbon around the center of the bow twice, and secure with a second bead of hot glue. Trim the wire ends and, if necessary, any excess tail on the wrapping ribbon.
Finishing your hair accessory
- Hot glue the bow to the hair clip, and place in your doll’s hair.
Some of the steps for creating this doll hair accessory require adult supervision. You know your child, so you’ll be able to judge just how much they can do. I did this project with my seven and three year old granddaughters. The seven year old was able to complete all the steps with the exception of tightening the bow wire and the hot gluing. The three year old got a kick out of placing the ribbons in the Mini Bowdabra.
To make a matching bow for the doll’s owner, follow the same process using 3½” lengths of the colored ribbons.