I have a friend I rarely get to see and while email and texts are nice, a personal, and fun, greeting card are a sweet touch every now and then. So I found a card that I felt summed up our 20+ year friendship that was perfect and all I had to do was to add a flower that was full of wildflower seeds that you can actually plant and grow!
I made my seed flower and then I created a beautiful little Bowdabra bow in green satin ribbon. After the seed flower dried I attached it to the front of the card and it was ready to mail. I also included instructions to remove the flower, place on the ground and cover with a bit of soil. Then water thoroughly. So you see how simple it is ? That’s all there is to it!
- Bowdabra bow wire
- 7 ½” 3/8” wide green ribbon
- Lighter to seal the ribbon ends
- All purpose paper
- Pack of wild flower seeds
- Flower cookie cutter shape
- Hair dryer
- Greeting card
- Tacky craft glue
- Small bowl
- Paper plate
- Food coloring and small paintbrush
- First tear the all purpose paper into small pieces and then place in the blender. Add water just enough to cover the paper and let sit for a few minutes. Next pulse the paper in the blender to create a pulp. Pour out excess water and remove the pulp with your hands over a sink squeeze out most of the water till it is pulpy and not soupy.
- Next place the pulp into a small bowl and stir in the wildflower or other seeds. Then press the pulp/seed mixture in a cookie cutter shape on a paper plate.
- Now use the sponge to press on the pulp to soak up any excess water. Keep doing this for a few minutes then remove the cookie cutter.
- You will want to dry the shape as much as possible so you use a hair dryer on low. Work to dry one side and then turn over and repeat on the other side. It will still be slightly damp. Set aside and dry overnight. After it is completely dry the shape will be hard and set.
- Now you can use some food color to brush on some color if you choose or leave it as is.
Make the bow for your greeting card
- Make the bow. Cut a piece of Bowdabra bow wire 18” long, fold in half and place in the Bowdabra.
- Cut a piece of 3/8” wide green satin ribbon 7 ½” long. Burn the ends lightly to keep the ribbon from fraying. Fold in half to find the center point and insert into the Bowdabra.
- Make a loop to the 1” mark and insert into the Bowdabra. Make a matching loop on the other side. Scrunch down with the Bowdabra wand.
- Insert the two loose wires through the bow wire loop to make a slipknot. Pull tight while the bow is still in the Bowdabra. Separate the wires and tie a knot. Cut the wires short. Add a bit of tacky glue on the card and attach the seed flower. Then add a bit more glue and attach the bow under the flower. Let dry and your greeting card is ready to send…and the flower is ready for the recipient to plant and enjoy!
We hope you enjoyed this quick and easy DIY. Please visit Bowdabra designer Crystal at her blog Make it easy crafts, Pinterest, Twitter, Facebook, G+, and bloglovin for more of her quick and easy crafts and recipes. And be sure to come back often for more Bowdabra quick and easy tutorials, recipes and so much more!