It’s a double win when you can make a patriotic craft with recycled items. This rustic star started its life as paint stirs.
Supplies for Rustic Star Patriotic Craft:
- 15″ Bowdabra bow wire
- Mini Bowdabra
- 18″ jute cording
- 5 paint stirs
- 12 self-adhesive small stars
- FolkArt Ultra Dye in Infra Red and Blue Bayou
- FolkArt Coastal Texture Paint in Sand Dollar
- Paint brush
- Quick dry liquid adhesive
- Drill with small bit
- Proxxon Band Saw
Instructions for Rustic Star Patriotic Craft:
- Sand any printed lettering off the stirs to eliminate any shadowing through your paint.
- Cut the handle section off each of the paint stirs. I stacked mine, marked the cutting line with painter’s tape, and cut them on my Proxxon band saw. But, any kind of a saw—power or manual— will work.
- Paint two stirs red, two white, and one blue. Set aside until the paint dries.
- Make the bow hanger by folding the bow wire in half and placing in the Mini Bowdabra. Tuck the ends under the Mini Bowdabra, out of the way.
- Begin the jute bow, leaving a six to eight inch tail.
- Continue the bow until you have three loops on each side, and end with another six to eight inch tail.
- With the bow still in the Mini Bowdabra, pass the wire ends through the loop, and tighten.
- Remove the bow from the Mini Bowdabra, and tie a knot on the reverse side, leaving the wire ends long. Set the bow aside.
- Coil the bow wire ends around a thin pencil or skewer for an added design element.
- When the paint has dried, glue the stirs together forming a five-pointed star with the colors arranged as shown in the photo.
- When the glue has dried, drill two holes in the top point for the bow/hanger.
- From the front of the star, pass one of the bow tails through one hole, and secure on the back with a knot. Repeat for the other tail.
- Add self-adhesive stars to the blue paint stir.
Finishing your star
Hang and enjoy your patriotic craft. You can use this same method to make a smaller star using popsicle sticks with only one row of stars. And, a teeny star out of toothpicks!!
Please be sure and visit Bowdabra blog each week for more quick and easy tutorials and video DIY’s from the Bowdabra design team!