Make these easy refrigerator bread and butter pickles. Take advantage of your summer garden harvest or the bounty of a local farm market. These crunchy bread and butter pickles use readily available ingredients. Even the most novice cook will have success with this recipe.
Ingredients for Refrigerator Bread and Butter Pickles
- 5½ cups sliced cucumbers (use cucumbers about 5″ to 6″ in length)
- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow onions
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1½ teaspoon whole mustard seed
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon celery seed
- 1 cup white vinegar
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
Preparations for Making Refrigerator Bread and Butter Pickles
- Wash cucumbers and cut into into ¼” slices.
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon kosher salt and toss. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Thinly slice onions, and set aside.
- While the cucumbers are chilling, combine remaining ingredients. Add the mustard seed, pepper flakes, turmeric, celery seed, vinegars, sugars, and salt. Bring to a boil. Boil, stirring occasionally, until the sugars are completely dissolved. Lower the heat, but keep the pickling liquid hot.
- After the 2 hour refrigeration period, using a colander, rinse the cucumber slices with cold water.
- Dry the cucumber slices very well between clean kitchen towels or several layers of paper towels.
- Toss cucumber and onion slices to mix well.
- Pack the cucumber/onion mix into sterilized canning jars.
- Pour the hot pickling liquid over the cucumbers and onion.
- Wipe rims and outsides of jars with a damp cloth. Top with canning lid and ring.
- Refrigerate. The pickles will be ready to eat in ten days to two weeks. They will keep indefinitely as long as they are refrigerated.
Come back each week to Bowdabra blog for new recipes, craft tutorials, and video DIY’s!