Dress up a common elastic hair tie with a corkscrew bow to show your team spirit. These make great friendship gifts for the entire team.
Supplies and Equipment to Make the Hair Tie with a Corkscrew Bow
- Mini Bowdabra
- Proxxon Thermocut (optional)
- Elastic hair tie
- 24″ length ½” grosgrain ribbon
- 27″ length 3/8″ patterned satin ribbon
- 12″ length ¼” green satin ribbon (team color number one)
- 12″ length 1/8″ white satin ribbon (team color number two)
- 6″ length ¼” green satin ribbon (team color number one)
- 6″ length 1/8″ white satin ribbon (team color number two)
- 9″ length ¼” black sheer ribbon
- 9″ length 1/8″ white satin ribbon (team color number two)
Instructions for Making the Hair Tie with a Corkscrew Bow
- Cut the ribbons to length using the Proxxon Thermocut. The Thermocut seals the ribbon to prevent fraying at the same time its hot wire cuts the ribbon. Alternatively, quickly pass the ribbon ends through a flames to seal the ends.
- Make the Corkscrew Ribbons
- Spiral the ribbons around a large knitting needle or ¼” dowel rod.
- Secure the ribbon ends with pinch clothes pins. I made corkscrew ribbons using the 24″ length ½” grosgrain, 27″ length 3/8″ patterned satin, 12″ length of ¼” and 1/8″ satin ribbons.
- Mist lightly with water.
- Arrange on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven at 250° F for 20 minutes.
- After the ribbons are cool, gently slide off the knitting needle or dowel.
- Cut the grosgrain and patterned ribbons in thirds.
- Place the 9″ length of 1/8″ white ribbon in the Mini Bowdabra. You can tuck the ends under the Mini Bowdabra so they are out of the way, but I didn’t find that necessary with this bow.
- Add the elastic hair tie to the Mini Bowdabra.
- Layer the ribbons in the Mini Bowdabra alternating corkscrew and plain ribbons.
- Compress the ribbons in the Mini Bowdabra with the Mini Bowdabra wand.
- Bring the 9″ length of 1/8″ white satin ribbon that you placed in the Mini Bowdaba in Step 4 through the hair tie.
- With the hair tie and bow still in the Mini Bowdabra, tie the ribbons in place with the 9″ length of white satin ribbon.
- Remove hair tie with bow from the Mini Bowdabra, and enjoy. Go team!!
Come back often to Bowdabra blog to see all the new video DIY’s, craft tutorials, recipes and more!