It’s almost back-to-school time!! That means getting the school clothes ready for action. Here’s an easy way to give a t-shirt new pizzazz with a bow. This small bow makes a big impact, following the “less is more” design concept.
Supplies and Equipment to Give a T-shirt New Pizzazz with a Bow
- Mini Bowdabra
- 9″ length ¼” satin ribbon
- 36″ sewing thread to match ribbon
- Needle and thread (or fabric glue)
Instructions for Bow and T-shirt
- Select a t-shirt with a design and decide where the bow will add the most impact to the design. For my t-shirt, I’m adding the bow as leaves on the back-to-school apple.
- Cut the ribbon and thread to appropriate lengths. Seal the ends of the satin ribbon by quickly passing them through a flame.
- Fold the thread in half, then in half again.
- Place the folded thread in the Mini Bowdabra.
- Position the ribbon in the Mini Bowdabra with a ½” tail extending from the ribbon support.
- Make ½” to ¾” loops on each side of the mini Bowdabra, ending with a tail.
- Compress the bow with the Mini Bowdabra wand.
- With the bow still in the Mini Bowdabra, pass the ends of the thread through both loops, and tighten.
- Bring the ends of the thread to the back of the bow and tie a knot. Leave the ends long for sewing the bow to the t-shirt.
- If necessary, trim any excess ribbon, and reseal the end.
- Sew the bow to the t-shirt. Thread a needle with one set of threads, and sew these to the t-shirt.
- Repeat with the second set of thread, this time inserting the needle about 1/8″ from the first set of threads.
- On the inside of the t-shirt, tie the two sets of thread ends with a secure knot. Trim the threads, leaving about ½” tails.
I can think of lots of options for dressing up a t-shirt with a bow—or how about multiple bows. Let your imagination run wild!! You’ll have a back-to-school wardrobe with pizzazz.
We’re all ready for second grade here!!
Come back to Bowdabra blog each week for more adorable crafts, videos, recipes and so much more!