The back-to-school countdown has begun. Only a few more summer vacation days. But, this back-to-school spirit hair bow is perfect for that first day of school.
Supplies for Making a Back-to-School Spirit Hair Bow
- Mini Bowdabra
- Mini Bowdabra Hair Bow Ruler
- 40″ length of 1½” wide grosgrain ribbon in school color/s (I used this ribbon from May Arts.)
- 18″ length of Bowdabra bow wire
- Heat transfer vinyl decals (optional)
- Charm or button
- Hair clip (style of your choice)
- Strong adhesive
Instructions for Making a Back-to-School Spirit Hair Bow
- Cut the ribbon into one 15″ length and one 25″ length.
- Cut dovetail ends on the 15″ length. Fold the ribbon in half, and cut at a diagonal.
- Pass ribbon ends through a flame to seal them.
- Add the optional heat transfer vinyl decals to the ribbon tail ends.
Make the Bowdabra Bow
- Place the Hair Bow Ruler on the Mini Bowdabra.
- Fold bow wire in half and place in Mini Bowdabra.
- Place the ribbon tail in the Mini Bowdabra.
- Place the loop ribbon in the Mini Bowdabra.
- Make a 3″ loop.
- Since I’m using a double-sided ribbon I need to give the ribbon a twist so the green side stays on top. (If you’re using a ribbon with no right/wrong sides skip the twisting steps.)
- Next, form the second 3″ loop.
- Give the ribbon a twist, and form the first 2″ loop.
- Now, form the second 2″ loop.
- Compress the ribbons with the Mini Bowdabra wand.
- With the bow still in the Mini Bowdabra, pass the wire ends through the loop, and tighten.
- Bring the wire ends to the back of the bow, and tie securely. Trim the wire ends.
- Using a strong adhesive attach the charm to the front of the bow and the hair clip to the back of the bow. (I used Beacon’s 527 Multi-use Glue. E6000 would be another option.) Depending on the style of hair clip you selected, you may need to protect parts of the clip from any unwanted adhesive. I used painter’s tape to wrap a portion of my clip.
- After the adhesive is completely dry, fluff the bow and open the loops. It’s ready to wear!!
Those summer days are speeding by all too quickly, but with this back-to-school spirit bow, your princess will be ready for all the fun school promises.
Visit Bowdabra blog each week for more fun craft tutorials, videos, and recipes!