I love to discover a way for something to serve dual duty. And this autumn birthday hair tie does just that!! It can be used as a bow on a birthday present, too. It’s like two gifts in one!!
Supplies and Equipment to Make an Autumn Birthday Hair Tie
- 3′ length ½” satin Happy Birthday ribbon, cut in three 12″ lengths
- 18″ length ½” satin Make a Wish ribbon, cut in three 6″ lengths
- 18″ length ½” orange glitter ribbon, cut in three 6″ lengths
- 36″ length 1″ orange grosgrain ribbon
- 12″ length 1/8″ braided ribbon
- 1 elastic hair tie
- Mini Bowdabra
- Proxxon Thermocut (optional)
Instructions to Make an Autumn Birthday Hair Tie
- Cut the ribbons to length using the Proxxon Thermocut. The Thermocut seals the ribbon to prevent fraying at the same time its hot wire cuts the ribbon. Alternatively, quickly pass the ribbon ends through a flame to seal the ends.
- Make the Corkscrew Ribbons
- Spiral the ribbons around a large knitting needle or ¼” dowel rod. Secure the ribbon ends with pinch clothes pins. I made corkscrew ribbons using the 6″ lengths of Happy Birthday ½” satin ribbon.
- Mist lightly with water.
- Arrange on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven at 250° F for 20 minutes.
- After the ribbons are cool, gently slide from the knitting needle or dowel.
- Place the 12″ length of 1/8″ braided ribbon in the Mini Bowdabra. You can tuck the ends under the Mini Bowdabra so they are out of the way, but I didn’t find that necessary with this bow.
- Add the elastic hair tie to the Mini Bowdabra.
- With the orange grosgrain ribbon, make a bow with three loops and one tail on each side.
- Layer the Happy Birthday corkscrew, Make a Wish, and orange glitter ribbons in the Mini Bowdabra alternating corkscrew and plain ribbons.
- Compress the ribbons in the Mini Bowdabra with the Mini Bowdabra Wand.
- Bring the 12″ length of 1/8″ braided ribbon that you placed in the Mini Bowdaba in Step 3 through the hair tie.
- With the hair tie and ribbons still in the Mini Bowdabra, tie the ribbons securely with the 12″ length of braided ribbon. Leave the tails to attach the hair tie a package.
- Remove hair tie with the bow from the Mini Bowdabra and fluff the bow.
- Attach to the present using the braided ribbon ends.
Visit this week’s designer Carole:
Stop by Bowdabra blog next week for new, craft tutorials, videos, and more!