It’s spring and Horse Show season is coming into full swing. The fashion these days are for the littlest competitors to arrange their hair into two braids and wear a horse show bows on each one. Horse show hair bows can be simple or quite fancy and usually have longer tails.
The disadvantage is that Horse show bows can be quite pricey. And, it’s so easy to make horse show bows using the Bowdabra! These bows are so beautiful and elegant you don’t have to be in a horse show to use them. They make wonderful gifts and are perfect for any day or event. Dancers love them too!
So let’s get started!
Horse show bows
For each bow, you will need:
- Mini Bowdabra
- Hair bow tool and ruler attachment
- Bowdabra gold bow wire
- Eleven inches of 2 ½” wide wired ribbon (For large bow)
- 14-½” 2 ½” wide wired ribbon (tail) in the same color as for the large bow
- Ten inches 1 ¼” wide wired ribbon (For the second bow)
- 13” 1 ¼” wide wired ribbon (2nd tail) in the same color as for the second bow
- Ten inches 5/8” wide satin ribbon (3rd tail)
- Horse charm, or another charm if you are not making it for a horse show
- Alligator clip
- Hot glue gun and hot glue sticks
- First, gather your supplies and cut all the pieces of ribbon for each bow. For the ribbon designated as the tails, fold each end in half and cut towards the fold to make dovetails. (optional) Next, cut an 18” long piece of Bowdabra bow wire. Fold the wire in half and insert into the Mini Bowdabra. You will have a loop on one side and two loose wires on the other, which will serve as your slipknot. Tuck the ends under the Bowdabra to keep out of the way while you work.
Add the tails
- Now using the 2 ½” ribbon for the tail, fold to find the center. Then twist so that the right side is facing up and insert into the Mini Bowdabra.
- Next, take the ribbon for the second tail; fold to find the center as you did on the first tail. Twist to arrange the ribbon so the right side is facing up and insert into the Mini Bowdabra. Make sure that both sides of the tails are even.
- For the third tail, using the 5/8” ribbon repeat what you did for the other two tails. Scrunch down with the Bowdabra wand.
Make the bows
- Now, make the bows. Take the 2 ½” wired ribbon and fold in half to find the center. Insert into the Mini Bowdabra wrong side facing up. Then, bring around to the other side and tuck the second under and into the Bowdabra. Push down into the Bowdabra to make a bow.
- Repeat step 5 with the 1 ¼” wide ribbon to make the second smaller bow. Scrunch down with the Bowdabra wand.
- Finally, thread the two loose wires through the loop and pull tight while holding the bow in the Bowdabra. Separate the ends and pull tight. Remove the bow from the Bowdabra turn to the back and tie a knot.
Finish your horse show bows
- Fluff and arrange your bows and tails. To add a charm, take the bottom wire from tying the bow and thread it through the charm. Bring both wires to the back and tie a knot. To finish, attach a covered alligator clip (You can purchase them already covered or do it yourself) on the back of the bow. For extra security, I like to use the excess wire to tie the clip on as well. Repeat all the steps for a second horse show hair bow.
We hope you will visit Bowdabra blog again soon. If you would like a tutorial to make another easy and elegant hair bow…JoJo inspired bow, check out the link.