This year for pet owner’s appreciation day why not gift a fellow pet lover with this sweet dog bone plaque. You can write one of your favorite quotations or use one of the ones we list here. What a great gift or item for a spring bazaar or craft show! Just be sure and make a dog bone plaque for yourself as well!
The dog bone plaque is so easy and inexpensive to create with some wooden hearts and crafts sticks!
Updated April 2018
Sweet dog bone plaque
- 2 Wooden Craft Sticks
- 2 Wooden Hearts
- Wood Glue
- Hot Glue Gun
- Acrylic Paint
- Black Sharpie Marker
- 20 gauge wire
- Wooden Dowel
- Mini Bowdabra
- Hair Bow Tool & Ruler
- Bowdabra Bow Wire
- 3/8″ Island Blue Satin Ribbon
- Silk flowers and floral leaves
- Begin with 2 wooden craft sticks and 2 wooden hearts. Next, glue the edges of the craft sticks with wood glue. Use a damp cloth to wipe away excess glue. While the glue is drying hold the sticks in place with clips.
- Once the glue is dry (about 30 minutes) glue the wooden hearts on each side and clamp in place. Use a damp cloth to wipe away excess glue. When dry, remove the clips and paint with acrylic paint. Let dry.
- Add an inspirational message or quote to the bone. I used a Sharpie to write my quote. (more suggestions at the bottom of this post.)
- Create the hanger for the plaque by wrapping 20 gauge wire around a wooden dowel.
- Hot glue the spiraled wire onto the plaque. Unroll the ends of the wire to make them straight and easy to glue onto the back. Then, make the bow.
Make the bow
- To make the bow place the Hair Bow Tool & Ruler onto the Mini Bowdabra. Cut 18″ of Bowdabra Bow Wire, fold it in half and place it into the Mini Bowdabra.
- Place floral leaves into the Mini Bowdabra.
- Place the 3/8″ satin ribbon end into the Mini Bowdabra. Next, fold the ribbon and create a loop at the 1.5” mark.
- Fold the ribbon back and forth at the 1.5″ mark making a total of 8 loops. Next, add the floral picks to the center and scrunch down with the Bowdabra wand.
- While the bow is still in the Mini Bowdabra, thread the two loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire through the loop at the other end and pull tight while the bow is still in the Bowdabra.
- Gently pull the bow out of the Mini Bowdabra. Separate the two loose ends of the Bowdabra Bow Wire and bring them around to the back of the bow. To tie off the bow, pinch the Bowdabra Bow Wire securely against the bow. Twist the bow 4 to 6 times in a clockwise direction. Fluff bow and hot glue a silk flower to the center of the bow to hide the Bowdabra Bow Wire.
- Use the remaining Bowdabra Bow Wire to tie the bow to the wooden dog bone plaque. Trim away excess wire.
“I have a very old and attachment for dogs, I like them because they always forgive.” ~ Albert Camus
“Happiness is a warm puppy.” ~ Charles Shultz
“The dog is a gentleman. I hope to go to his heaven, not man’s.” ~Mark Twain
“The poor dog, in life the firmest friend. The first to welcome, foremost to defend.” ~ Lord Byron